More Chorizo - New Recipe

When I started making my latest batch of ASDA clone chorizo on the 17th October it was my intention to photograph everything and create a sort of mini-tutorial. Needless to say when I got involved with making them I forgot to take most of the photos!

I started off with a big chunk of pork collar, also known as spare rib, and cut it into strips. If you have a small mincer you will have to cut it smaller. I prefer strips to chunks as the screw in the mincer pulls them through with very little need to use the pusher.

Preparing meat for Chorizo

The meat with plenty of fat attached was cooled right down and then minced through an 8mm mincer plate.

Mincing meat for Chorizo

The rest of the ingredients were weighed out and the culture activated in a little blood heat non-chlorified water for about an hour.

Click here, there's more to read...

The Coppa Finished

I took the Coppa out of the drying fridge yesterday and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed; the flavours fine, not much sign of the paprika, but there's a nice warm aftertaste from the chilli. However, the edges have hardened far more than I would have expected from the higher humidity that I dried this one in. I'm sure it'll be fine though when sliced thinly by the slicer, so far I've only sliced it by hand so the pieces are not as thin.

The finished Coppa

The recipe was:
(Percentages are of the meat's weight)

Salt 3.1%
Cure #2 - 0.27%
Cloves 0.04%
Cinnamon 0.04%
Paprika 1%
Cayenne Pepper 0.7%
BP 0.2%
White Pepper 0.2%

This cure was applied to the meat and left to cure in the fridge for 20 days. The meat was then dusted with more paprika and cayenne pepper and put into a collagen casing and tied. After hanging at room temperature for 12 hours in was kept at 12 - 15°C with a humidity between 70 and 80% for until it had lost 37% of its original weight; 40 days in this case.

Used tags: ,

The Chorizo that Wasn't and Sloe Gin

This post was meant to be a photo essay on making chorizo, but things sort of went haywire.

You see, it all started on Friday when it came to getting the meat. Pauline phoned a couple of local butchers who seemed to think that pork shoulder is worth more than gold, so I suggested a visit to Joseph Morris's, the abattoir at South Kilworth; alright it's about a 30 mile round trip, but the saving would have been worth it. Pauline didn't think so and we ended up in Tesco buying cheap vac-packed pork, 'cos that's only 7 miles away. I knew it wasn't a good idea, even though it was British! We opened it yesterday only to find that it smelt like a tramp's vest! Back to Tesco for a refund taking the meat with us so that we could see the look on the customer service assistant's face when she took a big sniff! All in all probably 28 miles in all - we should have gone to the abattoir in the first place!

That's left me scratching my head as to what to write; so what else have I been doing this week? Well I could tell you about any progress I've made with the white pudding I mentioned in the last post; well I could if I'd had any meat to make some more! I could tell you about making quince jelly and quince cheese (membrillo) with the quinces that my good neighbour gave me; that's if they weren't still sat in the bag in the kitchen.

Sloe GinThat leaves the sloe gin that I made with the sloes that Pete was kind enough to pick for me when out cycling. Now please don't tell me that I should have waited 'til they'd had the 'frost on them'; I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (I could have, of course, frozen them to get a similar effect - but I couldn't be bothered.)

Sloe Gin

1 70 cl bottle gin
1lb sloes
7oz sugar

Prick the sloes with a fork and put them into bottles with the gin and sugar. Shake every couple of days for a couple of weeks and then leave for a couple of months minimum, shaking it occasionally. It's best kept for a year before straining and drinking. The sloes can be made into a compote or ice cream topping - don't waste their ginny/sloey unctuousness.

Used tags: ,

The Monster Bresaola - II

The bresaola has now been curing for 21 days. I have taken it out of its cure, washed it briefly, and have strung it for drying. Regrettably, I don't have a casing large enough to fit it, so I am looking at other ways to ensure that it dries evenly, maybe a coating of lard or olive oil.

The bresaola drying on the left

I've also been trying to formulate a recipe for Irish White Pudding. A pudding that seems similar to a West Country Hog's Puddin', and a completely different product from the Scottish one. The problem is that as I've never tasted it I'm reliant on my mate John in Dublin to let me know whether I'm getting anything like the real McCoy! Initial attempts have been hampered by the lack of ingredients lists from commercial products. Now I have these, I've just got to get the ingredients and I'm sure I'll be able to reproduce the recipe.

The efforts so far:

White puddings

Monster Bresaola - Part I

/* */